Forming a Non-Profit
Is a non-profit the best vehicle for you to accomplish your goals?
Be sure you understand NonProfit
Basics provided by www.nolo.com (http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/article-29948.html)
Types of Nonprofits
In the Commonwealth of Virginia, a non-profit organization can
be an non-stock corporation or an LLC. Once a non-profit founder(s) has determined
the vision, here are the suggested steps, in order, to creating a non-profit:
- Incorporate as a Virginia
Non-Stock Corporation or Limited
Liability Company (LLC) through the State Corporation Commission's Office
of the Clerk.
- Apply for a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN or EIN) through
the IRS. Apply online or download, print, and mail the SS-4.
- File IRS Form 1023 to request 501(c)(3) non-profit status.
- Register with the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
as a charitable organization so that you may accept donations. The registration
package may be found here.
You cannot register get a sales and use tax exemption from the Virginia Department
of Taxation until you have registered
- Apply for Commonwealth of Virginia non-profit status using VATAX
- Check if you will have local business zoning, home occupancy, or license
(VDBA has found these sites helpful to some
users, but is not responsible for their content):
USA.gov for Non-profits
GuideStar - connecting people with
The NonProfit Times - an online periodical
Connect Richmond Now - a
variety of articles and resource listings
Virginia Network of Nonprofit Organizations (VANNO)
Virginia Bar Association ProBono Resource Center